El Sa7on Jibaritos!!!
Want to makes this deliciousness?! Make these mini sandwiches for family and guests and look like a skilled caterer. This is my spin on the classic Peurto Rican sandwich...
What you'll need:
5 Tbsp of coconut aminos
3 Tbsp of 7K1’s El Sa7on spice
2 Tbsp of olive oil
2 Tbsp of water
½ cup Mayo (plant based preferred)
1 Tbsp of 7k1’s Savory Garlic & Herb spice
16 oz of protein (of course we recommend plant based or vegan ‘beef’)
6 Green Plantains
2-3 cups of avocado oil
3 Campari Tomatoes
1 Red Onion
1-3 cups of fresh baby arugula
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients in high quality ziplock bag.
- Add protein to the Ziploc and combine thoroughly. Your protein should be in small thinly slice pieces (think sirloin used in Cheesesteaks), but you can use any beef or ‘beef-less’ protein. Sliced seitan, or other pea protein based slices work well too.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (I marinade overnight)
- On a large baking sheet, place a sheet of parchment paper and add your marinaded protein evenly. Do not pill up the protein so each piece can be exposed to the heat
- Set you oven to broil or set to 450 degrees.
- When the oven is at the right temperature, add your baking sheet with the protein and broil for 10 minutes or until the protein is crisp on the top layer and cooked. Then set aside
- Peel your plantains and slice about an inch thick (there should be about 40 slices)
- In a deep pan or deep fryer, add your plantain slices when the oil is at a high temperature. Allow them to fry for 3-5 minutes or until slightly soft on the inside
- Remove the plantain, place them on a rack to drip dry or paper towel, and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes
- With a wide cooking mallet (or any food grade flat object) smash the plantain pieces flat
- Add the plantain back to the avocado oil for 1-2 minutes and place them back on the rack or paper towel
- In a bowl, mix your mayo and Savory Garlic & Herb spice.
- Slice the Campari tomatoes very thin
- Add ½ tsp of mayo mixture to each piece of plantain
- Add your protein to half of your plantains
- Add desired amount of baby arugula on the plantain and protein
- Add 1-2 slices of Campari tomatoes and desired amount of thinly sliced red onion on plantain with protein and arugula
- Finish each ‘sandwich’ with the top plantain
- Use a toothpick to hold each ‘sandwich together
- Serve hot
I’ve made these for many functions as a sample of our food and seasonings. These are also great for appetizers at home events and gatherings. They’re always a hit